[Sca-librarians] Library assistant fired over book

Suzanne sovagris at cybermesa.com
Sat Aug 23 12:46:29 CDT 2008

Well, you've opened a real can of worms with that question -- and one
which probably doesn't belong on this list.  So I'll just say that
current industry standards equate "professional librarian" with
someone who has at least a Master's degree in library science [or,
information science].  I sometimes refer to my non-MLS-degreed
colleagues as "librarians" as a courtesy [they mostly have Bachelors
degrees in other subjects] but in actuality they are "Library
Assistants" and their job descriptions are quite different from mine.

But this is an on-going debate in the field, for a variety of
reasons, so you'll get different answers from different people.

Susanna de l'Essart