[Sca-librarians] cotton gloves

Suzanne sovagris at cybermesa.com
Sat Dec 6 14:07:27 CST 2008

Solveig,
You've already received some good responses -- I'll just add that
when an institution requires visitors to wear gloves, the institution
usually has a supply of gloves on hand to lend.  If you feel you need
to own a pair, I suggest looking in an art supply store or the
classroom supplies section of a university bookstore (check the
biology dept., as well as art).  Gloves do keep body oils off of
artifacts but you have to balance that with the slight chance that
fibers from the gloves could snag loose bits of whatever material
you're handling.

IIRC, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art just asks researchers to
wash their hands *and* refrain from wearing hand lotion; the Library
of Congress allows visitors to handle leather-bound books with bare
hands, as does the Special Collections department of the university
library where I work.

HTH,
Susanna