[Sca-librarians] copyright on recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 10 14:08:46 CDT 2008

The list of ingredients is not perhaps copyrightable, but
if you copy the title and reproduce a list of ingredients intact without
changes,
that falls under plagiarism (rights and permissions) and you can get
sued for that.
(Look up the Martha Stewart Barbara Tropp recipe scandal of
the 1980's and the Richard Nelson affair. Or see 2006's article "Can a
Recipe be stolen?"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010300316.html
)

The paragraph or so that follows the list of ingredients can be seen as
being
a unique expression. Many authors make this part of the recipe uniquely
distinctive and copying that in full and publishing it would violate
copyright.
(And almost all historical recipes of any note that have been adapted
contain
this material. This is what makes these adaptations worthwhile.Would
Martha Washington's
Cookery Bookes be so valuable without Karen Hess' commentary?)

And if not copyright, then it's a case of plagiarism, should that recipe
be reproduced
without permission. It's also a matter of manners and ethics.
(Do I want my recipes to be reproduced without my permission? Do I want my
needlepoint patterns reproduced or my original music spread across the
web without
permission? What about original art or drawings?)

In any case the last thing the SCA wants is to be accused of plagiarism
or copyright violations which
is why publications are going to be urged to tighten up as regards recipes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis