[Sca-librarians] copyright on recipe

Jackie Wyatt vaanthro at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 14:49:46 CDT 2008

Perhaps I'm missing something here (life has been crazy, plus I'm thinking in Canadian terms rather than US, and it's been a while since I've dealt with the topic in depth), but from what I've been reading, there's a simple answer to the question:

Yes, copying the redaction or any additional writing regarding the recipe and not properly citing/licensing the use is breaking copyright law.
I notice that in the replies to this question, the lawsuits mentioned are regarding the use of modern recipes, not recipes dating to the Renaissance- the author has been long dead and the copyright on the recipe itself is long gone, and even if you are plagerizing, I doubt the author will try to sue you.
I do know that there are extra issues should you want to use images of, say, a painting from a museum, but I believe it's a separate issue altogether.

So, the short answer, from my knowledge, is that anything written about it, such as redactions are under copyright, and using pictures of the original may have issues, but that the recipe itself is very likely NOT under copyright.

Medb ingen Dungaile
(mundanely an MLIS)