[Sca-librarians] copyright on recipe

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Fri Sep 12 22:22:30 CDT 2008

Noble Librarian!

Greetings from Solveig!

> Yes, copying the redaction or any additional writing regarding the
> recipe and not properly citing/licensing the use is breaking
> copyright law.
Sorry, but a redaction is just a recipe. This most likely places it
outside of copyright in the United States.
> I notice that in the replies to this question, the lawsuits
> mentioned are regarding the use of modern recipes, not recipes
> dating to the Renaissance- the author has been long dead and the
> copyright on the recipe itself is long gone, and even if you are
> plagerizing, I doubt the author will try to sue you.
The judges in the lawsuits in question ruled that recipes can not be
copyrighted, even if they are modern.
> I do know that there are extra issues should you want to use images
> of, say, a painting from a museum, but I believe it's a separate
> issue altogether.
Various museums and photographers are trying to assert copyright over
these images. However, the last time it was litigated, the court
ruled that this sort of
image is not eligible for copyright. Further, the more faithful the
image, the weaker the copyright claim is. If for instance you drew a
handlebar moustache on a faithful reproduction of the Mona Lisa, then
you will probably have created a new piece of art which is
copyrightable to you. However, anyone can produce a faithful
reproduction of the Mona Lisa, make sketches of the Mona Lisa, &c.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar