[Sca-librarians] oed for aquila?

Loren D Mendelsohn lmend at sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Sun Jan 18 14:11:41 CST 2009

AQUILA isn't in the OED.  AQUILE is the closest word that
is:

a'quile, v.
Obs. rare.
Deriv. and meaning unknown. Dr. Morris suggests: To
demand, ask, or obtain?
c1325 E.E. Allit. P. A. 960 Of {th}e lombe I haue {th}e
aquylde For a sy{ygh}t {th}er of {th}ur{ygh} gret fauor.
(Cf. l. 689.)

So, nobody seems to know what it means, but it appears to
bear no relationship to the Latin AQUILA

-- Galefridus Peregrinus