[Sca-librarians] State Library of Michigan news

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Jul 15 08:20:37 CDT 2009

News at UM isn't much better.

Oh by the way- this is the last week for the Ann Arbor News too. The
daily paper
quits publishing  within the week.

Johnnae

  Buyouts at libraries

*Dean: Computers, budget dictate cut in staff*
Sunday, June 07, 2009
BY DAVE GERSHMAN
*The Ann Arbor News*

Senior employees are being offered a buyout to retire from the
University of Michigan Library, which is bracing for a tight budget and
handling more work electronically.

*Ninety* staff members and librarians received letters on Friday telling
them they're eligible. They have until July 15 to accept the offer and
receive the equivalent of nine months of salary if they retire no later
than Aug. 31.

About 420 people work full-time at the U-M library, which has more than
a dozen units across campus. Managers aren't eligible for the buyout.

Robert Campe, chief operating officer for the U-M Library, said there's
no goal for the number of buyouts being accepted by employees.

The library is preparing for another tight budget that could include a
cut in funding or a small increase that won't cover the rising costs of
operations and salaries.

The library also needs to adjust its staffing since employees handle
fewer physical books and work more frequently with digital mediums.

"There's so many things that we used to do that just don't make sense
anymore,'' Campe said.

For example, he said, employees who receive new books previously had to
enter them by hand in the electronic catalogue; now the books arrive
"shelf ready.'' Spaces within the library are also being used
differently as more records and books are read electronically.

In an e-mail to all library employees, Paul Courant, dean of libraries,
said the library needs to shrink its staff over time and employ the best
people for the right jobs.

"As we all know, the work that the library does is changing; major
reorganizations have already happened, and more are yet to come,''
Courant wrote. "Over the long term, it is my expectation that the total
employment in the library will fall slightly, in response to both
changing needs and the changing budget situation.''

Reporter Dave Gershman can be reached at 734-994-6818 or
dgershman at annarbornews.com.