[Sca-librarians] Book Cart Drill Team?

Suzanne sovagris at cybermesa.com
Fri Nov 13 21:05:39 CST 2009

Yes, back when I lived in New Mexico and worked at a public library....

Our "Library Bookcart Precision [NOT!] Drill Team" marched in the
county fair parade every year.  Our drills resembled the "square
dance" routines that the Sheriff's Posse did on horseback, but we
added a few details like the "turn and shush the crowd" maneuver that
made people laugh when we came by.  Some of our Junior Library
Volunteers carried a banner with our name on it--just in case someone
missed the point--and we decorated the carts with mock books
(styrofoam blocks covered with book jackets) and plastic flowers and
anything else that caught our fancy each year.  We wore matching
library t-shirts and chose our own silly hats--the childrens
librarian always wore a Dr. Seuss' Cat-in-the-Hat--and just generally
had a good time with it.  You would not believe how *noisy* a bunch
of metal bookcarts rolling down Main Street can be!

Susanna de l'Essart
[now of Calontir, previously in the Outlands]