[Sca-librarians] Looking for a book and two movies

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Tue Sep 22 19:55:35 CDT 2009

Noble Librarians!

Greetings from Solveig! Since others are asking after remembered
stories, here are some things I'm trying to track down.

1. A movie that begins at a tower. A knight or noble is told "hold
this place until I return. hold it well." As I recall, the movie also
ends at the tower.

2. A movie where the actors are wearing 17th century clothing. At one
point, they are tracing some really heavy electrical cables and they
are connected to devices that look more or less like library globes
of the world. This movies is not The Crimson Pirate.

3. A movie which begins with a well dressed man walking into a
building and boarding an elevator. He tells the elevator operator,
"down. all the way down." He winds up in a small and somewhat crowded
office where a woman is flopped across a desk dressed as the moon
goddess or some such thing. The well dressed fellow reprimands her
and says something to the effect that "we don't do that anymore".
Anyway, the well dressed man is the devil or some such thing. This
movie is not Heaven Can Wait or Angel on My Shoulder.

4. A book about mankind settling the universe. In one episode, a
colonizing ship crash lands on a "water world" where they decide to
produce miniature people with gills and also lungs. The story then
works out a biological ship created by their descendants which
travels from the bottom to a small dry space. In another episode, a
ship run by people proud of belonging to the original type seeds a
world with a being that resembles a walrus. The world turns out to be
earth. This book is not First and Last Men.

5. A book in which members of the engineering caste undertake a
voyage as part of a rite of passage into adulthood. The protagonist
is given one or more keys. He travels to an agricultural area, some
sort of deep thought area with people in floating chairs or some such
thing, and eventually discovers that he is on a colony ship. This
discovery is something which was unknown to the engineering caste,
and only the engineering caste had preserved moving between levels.

Oh well. That's my list of things remembered which lack titles.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar