[Sca-librarians] Fwd: [Carolingia] OED online vs printed

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 31 16:01:29 CDT 2010

The print editions as they exist on reference shelves all over the
world will still be
there. They just won't be the latest tweaking nor will they contain
the latest "words"
as of whatever the cut-off date would have been. Print was always out
of date.

Considering that OED took decades to produce, the idea that there
won't be a printed
new 2010 plus edition is not so tough to take. As long s Oxford
continues to pour money in and
libraries subscribe to the online edition or cd-rom or whatever is
offered, the reference needs are met.

Johnnae