[Sca-librarians] copyright on scribal artworks

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jun 3 14:05:07 CDT 2012

The 2010 submission guidelines for TI read

 "Articles cannot be comprised of more than 15% (10% is preferred) quoted material from all sources combined. For example, if an article is 2400 words, the word count of quoted material cannot exceed 360 words of the total article length."
They make no distinction about when something was published. Quotes are quotes. They also want very close to 10% and not 15% these days too.

If an original recipe is 100 words long, then you must come up with an additional 900 words of instructions and comments in order to justify the length of the original quoted recipe. You can't have a 400 word original recipe or recipes and 100 word explanation. You can't do a survey article that is 50-60% quotes with the remainder being explanations and conclusions.

I have served on the TI Review Board since it was created in 2007; I started writing for TI back in the late 1970s. I still write for TI, but several of the articles I have done on topics like strawberries or cherries or apples or ipocras cannot be published in Ti because I included too many original recipes. Cutting out the recipes ruins the articles.

Johnnae