[Sca-librarians] a wee request

snspies at aol.com snspies at aol.com
Thu Aug 1 10:34:40 CDT 2013

Hi, everyone.

I normally separate pages in copying information from books with a /, but this time I neglected to do so.  If someone has a spare minute or two and has this book in their library, may I please ask if you could tell me where the division is between the two pages?  As my husband just said, "Yes, someone, at some time, WILL find this mistake," so I need to fix it.  The citation and the info from the two undifferentiated pages are below.

My great thanks, as always.

Nancy

Goss,Vladimir P.  “Western Architecture andthe World of Islam in the Twelfth Century”. In The Meeting of Two Worlds:Cultural Exchange between East and West During the Period of the Crusades,edited by Vladimir P. Goss, 361-375.  Kalamazoo: MedievalInstitute Publications, 1986.

"Such churches as Santa Maria di Milo, SS. Pietroand Paolo at Itala, San Alfio at San Fratello, and, somewhat leter, SS Pietroand Paolo at Agro (all near Messina) are aisled or aisleless, compact,block-like buildings with a tripartite eastern end preceded by a domedbay.  The entrance to the main apse isflanked by two columns and, together with the preceding domed bay, gives thesanctuary the definite atmosphere of a mihrab. Domes are plain, solid hemispheres, sitting on tall prismatic or roundedbases.  The simplicity and austerity ofmasses (at Agro, the fortress-like effect of cubic masses is heightened by acrenelated terrace roof) is relieved by warm polychrome décor and by patternsof ubiquitous intersecting arches.  Whilethe roundheaded arch is used, the pointed arch preferred by the Arabs is atleast equally frequent.  The squinches,enframed several times, derive directly from Muslim examples.  The bases of the frames are seen from underneathas little triangles hanging in the air, a device aiming at producing the effectof floating and mysterious quasi-insecurity. One finds comparable material in Tunisia, with which both Muslim and,later, Norman Sicily maintained close relations: for example, the cubic massesand plain domes of the Karassanidi Tomb in Tunis or Sidi Tuati Tomb in Bugie;the squinches of the mihrab dome of the mosque aqt Sfax.  The larger melon dome of the aAgro churchechoes the Zaytouna Msque in Tunis. Remarkably enough, at Agro there appears another dome, near the entranceto the church, thus repeating the scheme of North African mosques with twodomes – one at the entrance, one at the sanctuary.  The smaller dome at Agro is alsodistinguished by a strange system of alveolated squinches, announcing thestalactite ceiling of the Cappella Palatina, the squinches of the chapel of LaZisa in Palermo, the niches carved into the corbels on the walls of the PalermoCathedral, … This t ype of church is not limited to the eastern end of theisland; one finds it in Calabria … and in Palermo itself (San Giovanni deiLebrosi).  The idea of lining up domesover the longitudinal aisle is further elaborated by two Panormitan churches –San Giovanni degli Eremiti and San Cataldo. The former is an aisleless building with a transept, two domes on theaisle and one, smaller, over the crossing; the latter is an aisled church withthree domes covering the nave.  In eachcase we find tall, plain domes hovering over simple, stark bodies."  GOSS pp. 368-369