[Sca-librarians] Barcodes on the OUTSIDE of books

Judith A Kirk judith.a.kirk at wmich.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:19:51 CDT 2013

Hi all!

We're in the middle of changing our barcoding procedures.

Apparently it's easier for inventory purposes if we put our barcodes on the back cover, up near the top of the spine.

We -had- been putting them inside the book, along with the date due slips.

But someone decided we needed to make a change, so they ordered new barcodes that supposedly are heavier duty and designed to be put on the outside of books and can handle being shelved and reshelved without coming off.

Do any of you out there already put barcodes on the outside of books in your library? How are they wearing? Are they coming off or corners curling or print fading or any other negative bits?

Or has this been a positive change?

Just curious...

Siobhan
Midrealm
Not-so-mild-mannered authority control goobette