[Artemisia] Toys for Tots in Arrow's Flight

Julia H. West julia.west at sff.net
Mon Nov 3 02:36:40 CST 2003

My family and I had a most delightful time at the Toys for Tots event in Arrow's Flight yesterday.  Even though it was gray and snowing lightly most of the day, fighters took to the field in both heavy and rapier lists.  Indoors, there was an arts and sciences competition and bag raffle, as well as merchants.  Of course, my daughters (well, my husband did too) got the "wants and the gimmes" as soon as they saw the material the merchants had.  We did buy a few things. . . .

Boffer fights for both adults and children were well attended and people seemed to be having a great deal of fun.  Even those of us with two left feet joined in dancing later in the afternoon (and I can feel it today; my legs are sore!).

Neat stuff in the bag raffle, and my daughters and I actually got some of the things we put our tickets in for!  (I especially liked the cute little pelican nicknack.)

In the evening there was a delicious feast (vivant to the cooks), and I got to sing, which made me happy.  Other bards included both singers and instrumentalists--I'd give their names, but I'm a klutz and would probably forget some.  Well, I'll try.  M'lord Steven (whom we had watched juggling earlier in the day), M'lord Kelly aka Simon (who was also running the bardic), an instrumental duet (sigh, forgot =both= the young gentlemens' names), a lovely young lady (Brittany?), and Baron James Ulrich Mackellar of Loch Salann, who wowed everyone with his bagpipes (yeah, it's not period, but the Star Wars theme on bagpipe goes right down there in my memories with Beatles songs on Japanese koto).  If I forgot anyone, I apologize.

I got to talk to many people, and had a great time!  Vivat to Lady KyneWynn the Kind for autocratting.

Brenna, Baroness of Loch Salann, recognized those who were there for their first event (which included my daughter's friend, whom we brought with us).  There were also lots of announcements and people recognized, which I couldn't hear very well.  Sorry!

Oh, and I forgot, LOTS of toys for Toys for Tots, and food for the Food Bank, were collected.  One whole side of the hall was filled with toys.  Very impressive!