[Artemisia] Thought for discussion-

Morgan Wolf morganwolf at sofast.net
Thu Nov 6 11:54:54 CST 2003

> And Morgan adds:
> > Lastly [this post anyway], I would ask everyone to remember that, while
all
> > parts MUST be considered together, the idea of the discussion is to
focus on
> > each individually, then discuss the whole afterwards.
>
> I think that focusing on one specific quality, while noteworthy can make
> one miss the other finer qualities that a individual posesses. A person
> is comprised of all of the Chivalric Virtues, everyone just has them in
> different orders and different degrees.  These are better shown in a
> 'body of work' rather than individual items or individual circumstances.
> Being able to effectively pass along one's knowledge, encouraging and
> fostering others in their efforts also enriches and refects well on the
> individual. It also pulls in another term which has been alluded to:
> RENOWN. One can strive to be the most talented, the most highly skilled,
> the hardest working, but if noone recognizes you....

Dear Juliana, I think you misinterpreted my point, or perhaps I was not
clear.
*For this discussion*, I would like to focus on one aspect at a time, THEN
look at the whole picture.  I agree that one cannot be considered for a
Peerage, or any award, unless the aggregate of their abilities and actions
are taken into account, but for this discussion thread I humbly request that
we all go through the aspects one at a time, to ease the discussion.

As for "quality v. quantity", I believe that it has to be both, with the
emphasis on quality.  Making 500 basic, machine-stitched, former-sheet
T-tunics does not make you a Laurel, but neither should, in my opinion,
making one masterpiece of Elizabethan garb.  To demonstrate true Prowess,
there needs to be consistency.  Any fighter can beat any other fighter
*once*, it's the ability to *consistently* go toe-to-toe with the best in
the Kingdom that puts a fighter in that top 10% I mentioned.  Which, by the
way, I meant as a Kingdom-level standard, not one event or tournament.  If
the Crown and the Pelicans all [or mostly] agree that Melvin is consistently
in the top 10% of the people providing service to the Kingdom, in both the
quality and the quantity of service, he has, in my mind, covered the Prowess
part of being a Pelican.

Now if we could just get him on track with the Courtesie part, and get him
to stop insulting people.
;)

Morgan Blaidd Du
Protege and Ghillie to