[Artemisia] Peer qualities (was: thought for discussion)

Theodora (AKA Rachael) ladythea at myway.com
Thu Nov 6 16:59:32 CST 2003

 Her Excellency's post reminds me of that age-old question...Why do you do what you do? For each person, this question will have a different answer.  Some seem to do what they do for the pursuit of skill and knowledge.  Others seem to do what they do for the love of the game we play.  And yet others do what they do in hopes of gaining recognition.  If the only reason you strive for excellence is to receive recognition, and the recognition is slow in coming, then what?  I am sure there are people on this list that can say that if the only reson they are playing is for the recognition, they would have quit long ago. Does that mean one should not strive for it?  Of course not.  Buthopefully it will not be the sole motivation for what you do. Here, someone else needs to take the soapbox -  Theodora(who should be working on things for Collegium rather than reading email)--- On Thu 11/06, Ellen Stavash < EStavash at msn.com > wrote:
From: Ellen Stavash [mailto: EStavash at msn.com]To: artemisia at lists.gallowglass.orgDate: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:39:38 -0700Subject: [Artemisia] Peer qualities (was: thought for discussion)
[snip]
 Sometimes you will hear people say that if you express a desire to be recognized with awards, or to get a Peerage, then "The Establishment" will see to it that you never get these things.  This is not true. (For one thing, we're not organized enough to make this happen, even if we wanted to!)  However, there is a core element in this false rumor which is worth considering.  If a person values awards even more than growing as a player, and even more than teaching and watching his or her students grow, then what happens to that person after he or she gets a Peerage?  The fact is, Peerage is a wonderful thing to achieve, and can make you feel really good about yourself for a while, but eventually life settles down into more or less what it was before the day of your ceremony.  Now what does the award-oriented player do, faced with the prospect of possibly never getting official recognition ever again?  That's a question that every Peer, and everyone who aspires to Peerage, needs to consider at some point.