[Artemisia] [Aerie] A Challenge

ladypdc ladypdc at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 23:34:10 CDT 2003

OK,  I have watched this debate and several in the past.  Each time,
Michael the Loud mentions that he would like to see an Archery Crown
Tourney because he might then win and become the ideal king.  At the
very least, he puts forth that he would notice all people
contributing during his reign and make certain that they received
their just due of royal notice.

Michael, I challenge you to prove your assertion.

Next weekend (on October 18) there is an event occurring in your
area.  It is chock full of opportunities to notice people in all
areas of the SCA that receive recognition.  There is an Arts and
Sciences competition, a feast, two types of tourneys, and, of course,
all of the service work that goes into putting on such a full event.

If you truly think that you can back up your assertions, then go to
the event.  Then report back to us here all of the people you think a
good King would have noticed at the event.  Give us their names and
proper titles and what they did that would/should have been
recognized.  (at the very least you will be giving them some
recognition in this forum)

Of course it won't be a fair test as you won't also be trying to run
the regal part of the event and being stopped every five minutes to
answer questions, settle disputes, participate in peer circles, and
still make time to spend that precious few minutes with the new and
fairly new players that will remain in their memory forever.  But
that's ok, we will grant you that advantage (unless of course you
would prefer to make it more realistic and volunteer to help out at
the event yourself)

Let's see how many people you actually notice both in front of or,
perhaps more importantly, behind the scenes.  Can you get their names
and titles correct and find a way to remember what they did that was
noteworthy.  If so, we will be more willing to believe your claims
(and royalty of all sorts will fall over themselves to avail
themselves of you and whatever methods you use)

So, tell us.  Are you up to the challenge?  Or were your statements
more fiction than fact?  Will we next see a challenge accepted or
just more excuses tendered?

We, or at least I, eagerly await your answer and your proof.

Lady Constance de la Rose

"Never say a thing's impossible
For chances are you'll rue it.
Because some fool who doesn't know,