[Artemisia] Morgan...James

Erik Joramo niallsca at great-falls.net
Sun Oct 19 20:02:48 CDT 2003

ya know I thought there was a procedure for handling interpersonal
Conflicts. Turns out i am right there is such a procedure. read the
governing docs
the following is a copy/paste of the governing docs relating to
interpersonal conflicts.
Lord Niall Logan

APPENDIX A: SUGGESTED CHANNELS FOR COMPLAINT AND APPEAL
The Society is devoted to courtesy, trustworthiness and personal
responsibility, and it sometimes seems that
these ideals should be enough to permit members to work smoothly together.
After all, virtually everyone
agrees it is desirable to foster the Society's goals of encouraging research
and recreation in its chosen period
and to promote the welfare and prosperity of the organization and the
education and enjoyment of everyone
in it. Unfortunately, tensions and disputes develop anyway.
The Board is the final court of appeal for disputes that have escalated
beyond the ability of the participants or
the officers to handle. However, it is reluctant to play that role because
its rulings affect the entire Society -
often by restricting everyone's freedom and reducing their enjoyment of the
organization. Corpora provides
an unlimited right of appeal to the Board, but members should make every
effort to work out their disputes
at as low a level in the organization as possible.
While it is not possible to prescribe a specific list of things to do or
people to consult that will serve in all
disputes, the general procedure outlined here should be adaptable to most of
them. If you are directly
involved in a dispute, please go through a process at least as comprehensive
as this one before asking the
Board for help. If you are asked to intervene in someone else's dispute
because of the office or title you hold,
please don't rush in. First urge the principals to try all measures
recommended for attempting to reach a
settlement without involving your level of the organization. Then, if you do
intervene, make every effort to
find a resolution the participants can accept, instead of escalating the
dispute to higher levels of the
organization.
Principles
1. Avoid trouble. There are many valid approaches to Society activity.
Members should make room for
each other to explore anything that supports the Society's goals, abides by
its rules, and does not
actively interfere with the environment it attempts to create. In many
cases, the best way to deal with
a minor problem or disagreement is to act as though it doesn't exist.
HOWEVER, the advice about
ignoring problems in the hope that they'll fade away does not apply to
breaches of the law. If you
encounter illegal activities, your obligations as a citizen are the same as
in any other aspect of your
life. Please keep the officers of your branch and kingdom informed if you
decide to invoke the
assistance of outside authorities in ways that may require them to answer
questions about the matter
at hand or about the Society itself, but do not hesitate to exercise your
civic duty as you see it.
2. Look for ways around hard choices. It may be possible to break a dilemma
by taking up both
alternatives, either together or at different times, instead of wasting
energy arguing over which to
choose. It may also be possible to find a third approach that both sides
prefer to their original ideas.
3. Try to keep a sense of perspective. Just because you're unhappy, it doesn
't mean you're right! Make
an effort to listen to the arguments of the other side with good will and
honesty, and look for a
solution everyone can live with.
4. Go through channels. If you can't solve the problem yourself, your
requests for assistance should
follow a line of authority without skipping anyone, and without spreading
laterally through the
organization any more than absolutely necessary. For example, when you reach
a level that has
royalty or royal representatives, include them on your copy list, but don't
start out by copying all the
royalty in your corner of the Known World on your initial complaint. Try to
involve as few people as
possible-the less you embarrass your opponent, the likelier you are to get a
solution you can live
with and not simply bury the dispute until it can resurface on different
grounds.
5. Be patient. Allow each level time to try to deal with the situation, and
avoid the temptation to attack
the people you've asked for help if they don't seem to be moving fast enough
to suit you.
Procedures
1. Try to work things out face to face. When someone does something that
interferes with your
appreciation of the Society in a way you can't ignore, or that seems to be
contrary to the rules, talk it
over. Explain the problem as you see it, and listen to the reply. (Likewise,
if someone comes to you,
listen carefully before you frame your answer.) With luck and good will, the
problem will go away.
You'll find ways to reduce the level of irritation, you'll stop real rules
violations, or you'll come to
understand why things you thought were violations were actually legitimate
activities. If you can't
communicate, ask someone you and the other party both respect to help,
either by relaying messages
or by moderating a meeting between you. Try not to go to an officer in
charge of the area in
question, as such an officer may be tempted or compelled to make a ruling
instead of letting you
reach an informal agreement.
2. Write to the person you're having difficulty with. Describe the way you
feel you're being damaged,
without indulging in insults or threats. Ask for the action you feel would
set things right, and indicate
how long you feel you can wait for a reply before making further
distribution of the complaint. Keep
a copy of the letter, but do not send it to anyone but the addressee at this
time. The written word is
often more effective than the spoken word, so there's a good chance that
this letter, or a series of
direct letters and replies, will eventually lead you to a solution. As long
as you feel you're making
progress either in understanding or in getting you way, do not go on to step
3.
3. Write a more formal letter to the other party. Outline any new points you
may have thought of and
refer to your previous correspondence. Send a copy to the officer in charge
of the area in question,
or to the royalty or royal representative nearest the level where you have a
dispute. Depending on the
situation, it may be a good idea to send copies of the letters you've
already written or received on the
matter with the copy of the current letter you send to the superior; if you
are doing so, be sure to
mention it in your letter. (It is very important to proceed openly as you
pursue your complaint;
things are tense enough already without adding a new-and justified-charge of
sneakiness to the
general dispute!) Again, set a reasonable time for a reply, and consider it
carefully when it arrives. As
with step 2, continue at this level as long as it looks like there's any
progress.
4. Write directly to the officer in charge of the area in question, with
copies to the subject of the
dispute, the next higher officer, and the appropriate royalty or royal
representative, if any. Explain
how you feel you're being mistreated, and ask for specific help. Include the
entire previous
correspondence; if you have not already shared it with the officer-and
mention the enclosures in the
text. Evaluate the reply or replies before you decide to go forward.
5. Repeat step 4, moving up the organization and including everyone you've
involved on your copy list.
Follow you correspondents' advice as to whether or not anyone else at or
below their level needs to
be consulted. Eventually, you run out of levels.
6. If no one else has managed to find a solution, the Board will do so.
However, there is no guarantee
that you will like what they come up with, and there is nowhere else to
turn. Even if you get
something resembling what you originally asked for, the effect on the
Society may well be regrettable,
as the Board finds it almost impossible to deal with a specific situation
without touching anything
else.
While it appears cumbersome, this technique should reach some sort of
resolution in a matter of months.
The greatest number of levels between you and the Board is five, assuming a
dispute between members of a
canton whose barony is part of a principality. The important thing is
getting a solution, NOT getting to the
Board, and the approach outlined in this article will probably let you
settle the matter without involving the
corporate administration at all.