[Artemisia] Challenge Coins

Wayne Hamberg michaeltheloud at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 18:43:42 CDT 2003

I see two problems with giving tokens and I still think it's an EXCELLENT idea.  First, tokens are given in place of an award, recognition or appreciation.  The PR face of the SCA should really be the Crown and Coronets and if tokens are presented it should be through them.  When anybody else presents a token like you are describing you really are undermining the purpose of the ruling nobility.  The problem isn't being fixed but diverted and it's like amputating a leg to cure a simple problem of an ingrown toenail.

Second, there is a big difference from you doing something and somebody like myself doing the exact same thing with the exact same motives.  Where people might not object to you doing something, the same can be said about others in the kingdom.  I can think of a couple of tokens ideas that I would like to do although I can name several that would SCREAM if I did so.  You SOMEDAY might start an argument that they can and we can't which is not a bridge that as a group that we want to go anywhere near.

The idea while as GREAT as it is, is nothing but a substitute of what actually should be happening.  There has to be a way to get people appreciated by the ruling nobility without making an award for (what Godwin put so well) "The Companions of the Order of Those People who are Breathing."

Michael

"Theodora (AKA Rachael)" <ladythea at myway.com> wrote:

Why is there a problem with anyone giving tokens? I have done so, and know of other non-peers who have done so. I have also received them from all types of people, and I can tell you when, where, and from whom I have received each and every one.

While this doesn't replace recognition in the forms of official awards, it can be nice in its' own right.

HL Theodora