[Artemisia] Been awfully quiet, pot needs stirring...

Richard Samul scascot at appleisp.net
Mon Aug 23 19:47:12 CDT 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:38 PM, HL Isabeau de Sevingy wrote:

[snip]

>  Maybe what we should do is add to
>
> the witty comeback list, what do you all think?

[snip]

> Any more ideas?
>
> Isabeau

My 2 pence:

n+1) Excuse me, but don't you have a (chamberpot/stable) to clean,
somewhere?

> PS. on a more serious note. What precautions do we all take to prevent
> well-meaning
>
> newbies from learning and regurgitating this kind of garbage?

I have thought long on this today, and I keep coming back to what I
learned, 11 years gone now, in the Middle Kingdom:

1) Catch them early. Meet and greet all the newcomers you see. Make it
a point to introduce yourself to every new face you see. Get involved
with their first exposure to The Dream. Well and properly done, it will
stay with them their entire time in the Society. Mine did - ask me
about it sometime. Things you have grown accustomed to seeing with
jaded eyes take on a new splendor when seen with the wonder of of a
newcomer.

2) Teach them well. Honor and chivalry are more than mere words, and
live in places other than the list field. Words AND deeds are the heart
of this concept. It was a lesson I took well and truly to heart, and it
changed me in ways I cannot begin to describe.

3) Show them the way. Practice what you preach. Oaths are easily sworn,
but is your word truly your bond? What of your name? Petty feuds and
SCA politics should not color your interactions, nor your public
commentaries. Private opinions should remain so.

4) Hope for the best. In the end, newcomers will act as they are wont.
If the whole of the Kingdom (and surely, the Society) upholds a
standard of conduct and the penalties for breaking that code,
non-conformers will either adapt or fall by the wayside. We should not
lower that standard to accommodate the lout, or the boor. Ever.

Failing that, strap them into some armor, and use them as pells.

It occurs to me that the practice of championing someone's honor (or
your own) on the list field may be the key to reducing this sort of
behavior. After all, if you can't fight, and can't convince a fighter
to champion you, then perhaps you shouldn't have said/did whatever it
was, and apology equal to the slight is required. The same holds true
for those who took insult. Knights, and those who aspire to be knights,
should be all over this, as defenders of Honor. We are, after all, a
Society founded on the recreation of the Dream of Honor and Chivalry,
historical accuracy notwithstanding. Such a practice fits well within
those confines.

But, perhaps I live a different version of The Dream.

--
Earc
Arn Hold

Begin SCA Geek Code Block
Version YF0307c
-----
%HF-ii {GS} AS-ii {AM' CH' CM' PS'? VN'}<= SR+ii {FA'}
HD-i HS-1 {C F L}  UN-ii
A+i HW+iii G-i P.1350.Sco/+i
EX.xxvii(+o)/-ii(+o) TR+i(-o) EN+o HH-i^ FM+o MP+iii NT+i WB+iv%
-----
End SCA Geek Code Block
www.therotunda.net/sca/geek-code.html

	"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we."

George W. Bush
August 5, 2004