[Artemisia] Re: Event Thoughts

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Thu Dec 9 10:50:01 CST 2004

So for my 2 cents worth...

For me, the magic I have encountered has been at dawn and dusk as well.
Specifically dawn, as archers are usually up early.

With the pictures I have taken at dawn and dusk, when the magic happened, I see a blending
of mundane and period. There is enough light to see outlines and little bit of color, but it is still
blended and the obvious forms are not so clear. I have a picture I took at Estrella a couple of years
ago, just before sunrise. It captured a magic moment for me, as you do not notice the
mundanity that the picture contains.

Same with during mid-day though: it has everything to do with ambience.

I can say from experience at running several large family reunions, that the best method to assure everybody
has a good time, is just to provide the framework. There doesn't have to be something planned at every minute of the
whole day. Just provide a few good things to do. The people themselves will fill in the blanks, and it is usually more
enjoyable. Give some time in between activities, so people can visit or have time to do something off the cuff.

Now I have to say, one of the most recent magic moments for me, was watching Sir Yuri's Knighting ceremony at Uprising
this year. I don't know how much planning went into it, but it was the right amount.
The only detractor from the whole thing, was that blasted lawn mower that someone rode up on in the back. Other than
that, it was about perfect. And it was about probably just simple planning, but more about location and ambience.

Godwin