[Artemisia] Sir Daniel's question, and one of my own

Dan S. wyddershin at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 22:52:13 CST 2004

Greetings,

> Sir Daniel, you are certainly entitled to your own opinions concerning the
> practices of the Corporate Offices and anyone else you choose. THe problem
> some of us have is that you made an insulting and personal remark
regarding
> anyone who might wear the Laurel Sovereign's crown, very probably knowing
> full well that the next person to bear that office is active on this list.
> You have since defended your opinion (to which you are certainly entitled)
> have not addressed the insult. I believe you owe Mistress Shauna an
apology.

> You made a point of signing with your title, letting us know what to
expect
> from you in terms of courtesy. Here in return are mine:
> Countess Caryn von Katzenberg, OL

Personal insult to Mistress Shauna was certainly not my intent. We are old
acquaintances and I think she knows me quite well.

In addition, I've held this view for some years, actually, come to think of
it, I've held this view since 25th Celebration when I first saw Master Da'ud
ibn Auda with the silly and pretentious Crown on his head. So there should
be no mistake in my intent to possibly directing criticism at Shauna on a
personal level.

In my eyes, she has not yet worn the faux Crown since I don't believe she
has actually assumed the job of "Director of Heraldic Research". If she does
decide to do so, well then if the faux Crown fits she will wear it. If she
chooses not to wear the piece of regalia during her term in office, she will
add to the already healthy respect I have shown her in the past.

If I may, Mstrs Caryn, in your time as Queen I wonder how you would have
recieved someone from your populace who wore a (for instance) Laurels
medallion and styled themselves a Laurel simply because the local cooks
guild decided to award it to them? Would that person have been welcome in
your court? My past impression of you leads me to think you would take that
issue fairly seriously, but it has been a few years since we have spoken, so
perhaps I'm in error.

In any event, no disrespect was intended towards Mistress Shauna personally.
If she percieved any at all I do apologize. My issue is striclty for the
office of the Society Herald and the BoD for allowing the 'Crown' tradition
to develop in the first place.

In Service

Sir Daniel