[Artemisia] Cost of Uprising

Chuck Heisler Jr. conradvz at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 12:34:21 CST 2004

Hi Morgan, my not so old but still dear friend,

Well, you have to trust people a little.  In answer to your question.  I know you're not a newbie and so do most people.

I also am a big fan of letting a person into their first event free, even if it happens to be Uprising.  As I pointed out, I don't think charging someone five bucks extra for their first event is reasonable, but charging YOU (who should have a dang membership) the extra five bucks is more than reasonable.  Not to pick on you alone.  I do mean any player who has played a little and should be able to get a membership.  Some people can't get a membership, I guess, and in those cases, they are penalized.  But as I said, my sympathy is thin for most.

So, you just have to know who's coming and trust people when they say its their first event.  But that second event, they'd better be working on their membership.

Right?

C.

Morgan Wolf <morganwolf at sofast.net> wrote:
Sir Conrad, my old and dear friend,

I see your point, but how on earth can you differentiate between
old-haven't-bothered-to-renew people like me, and new-first-event people
when they're paying the fees through pre-reg? More importantly (from the
Castellan/Hospitaller POV) how does it encourage new people to join the SCA
when we tell them "we want you, but we're going to charge you extra if you
want to go to a few events before you actually shell out the $35.00 for a
membership"? I personally am a BIG fan (okay, I'm just big, but I'm
dieting, so don't start) of first-timers get their site fee waived, instead
of charging them extra.

Of course, I could be wrong.

By the way, would you (Sir Conrad) contact me privately?

Bonheddr Morgan Blaidd Du,
Protege and Ghillie to
Baron James Ulrich MacKellar and
Baroness Rachel Ashton,