[Artemisia] terminology--IMPORTANT

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:01:19 CST 2005

Jeff Brainard wrote:

> I think it would behove us all to accord the Arts and Sciences their
> rightful place in our lives in the way we reference the term. While in
> type, A&S is an acceptable abbreviation, we should remember the
> absolute ban on the verbal use of the abbreviation during Sean and
> Caryn's last reign. It seems to annoy Her Highness and frankly, I
> agree.

Thank you for highlighting the importance of the arts and sciences, I
would however like to temper part of your statement.

"A&S" as a term, is seen an accepted contraction across the Known World
for the Arts and Sciences and has been in use for well over 30 years.
Yes, it can be annoying to some, but is seen as perfectly acceptable
usage to others.

I would encourage everyone to police themselves. If a particular word
usage bothers you, change the way you personally speak and write it,
other people may eventually catch on to what you use because they won't
hear the other term in use. Frankly, if newer players hear only one
usage, they won't know any different. But we have alot of older players
too. It is very hard to change a term that has been used well over
30-years, and since we are a multi-aged society, you will encounter it
in all types and multiple usages. It all depends on how and when you
learned the term.

I'm not saying it is impossible to change...just realize that when it
comes down to the line, the only person anyone can control or change is
yourself.

Juliana