[Artemisia] Uprising class.. Hunting with the Hound, Horse and Hawk

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Tue Jun 7 16:10:27 CDT 2005

Hunting with the Hound, Horse and Hawk
Friday 2-3pm
Mu'allemah Yaasamiin(a), Regent of the Horse
Lady Aine, Regent of the Hound

"Man-hod I am, therefore I me delyght / To hunt and hawke, to nourish up
and fede
The greyhound to the course, the hawks to th' flyght /And to bestryde a
goode and lusty stede"

This class is designed to introduce the newly formed HUNT GUILD to
Artemisia. Acknowledged throughout many kingdoms for the advancment of
the knowledge of the Hunt, this Guild shall strive to further the pursuit
of excellence in the research, care, and demonstration of the Art of the
Hunt. This includes the study of Period Hunting techniques and the care
and maintenance of the Hound, Horse, and Hawk in the Noble manor, and
their historical role in the Ancient, Medieval, and Renaissance world.

Sub-guilds are encouraged to register Heraldic badges for identification
and livery upon the field, providing a pleasing Pageantry for the Crown
and its Nobles.
The Sub-guilds of Hunt Guild that fall within the Guild's charter
include:
* Hunter and Huntress named as Archer, Equestrian, Spearman, Trapper,
Falconer, Gunman, and any other Huntersman; and
*Hunting Animals named as Horses, Hounds, Hawks, and Ferrets.
To this we pledge our sacred Faith and Honor unto the Crowns of Known
World and unto our faithful charges and companions.
(((*)))

Further reading on the subject:
The Time of Grease: An Overview of Medieval Hunting
Atlantian University – Fall Session – Oct. 2, 2004
Instructor – Deirdre O’Siodhachain (Terry Sheehan) –
t.sheehan at verizon.net

For a nobleman of the Middle Ages there were three things highly symbolic
of his calling to knighthood: the horse, the hawk and the hound. Note
that two of the three have no direct relation to his function as a
warrior. Rather, they are associated with a knight’s more domestic role
as a provider in times of stability and protector of property.

The art of hunting is a sophisticated display of wealth, knowledge and
social standing. To execute it in a seemly fashion meant a subtle
knowledge of the forms of hunting, the standards of which were well-known
to the noble class. It meant having enough money to support stables,
kennel and/or mews and all the personnel associated with their upkeep.
This is what [John] Cummins [The Hound and the Hawk] refers to as having
the “economic insouciance” (p. 138) compatible with the social standing,
resources and correct attitude about hunting.

The esteem in which a great hunter was held came from an appreciation of
his prowess in the arts of chase, and the superior character that such
mastery was thought to convey, as well has his arcane knowledge of birds
and beasts.

Like all good stories, hunting has its who, why, what, when, where and
how.

Who Hunts?

In the Middle Ages there was a significant group of people who worked
either as professional hunters or in supporting roles to the hunting
function. They were highly valued members of a noble household. Unlike
the lords who employed them, they were expected to hunt all year round
(according to the season) to help feed the entire household or guard
against predators.

Noble hunters were a slightly different breed. Although there is evidence
that they interacted with the professionals with great camaraderie,
distinctions of rank were maintained. The nobility who hunted were a
special class of amateur, one whose knowledge and skills may have been
equal to the professionals, but for whom hunting was an avocation rather
than a necessity.

Some of the most famous hunters were royal and near royal personages. The
list includes: Gaston Pheobus (author of Le livre de la Chasse and cousin
to the English kings Henry IV and Henry V), Edward of Norwich (author of
The Master of Game and cousin to the same kings), and Alfonso XI of
Castile (author of the Libro de la monteria), and Frederick II of
Hohenstaufen (author of De Arte Venandi cum avibus).

Hunting was largely a male activity, although some women did participate.
It is noteworthy that the popular Book of St. Albans was attributed to
Dame Julian Berners, a mother superior at Sopwell Abbey (I am suspicious
of this attribution because the name “berner” also applies to an
attendant on hounds, never a female role. I suspect a joke in there
somewhere). The heiress Mary of Burgundy (daughter of Charles the Bold
and wife of Maximillian I) met her end in 1482 due to a fall from her
horse during the hunt, and was depicted as a huntress in her famous book
of hours. Various rolls from great hunting parties (not unlike tournament
rolls) list the names of noble ladies among the hunters.
(((*)))

Mu'allemah Yaasamiin al-Raqqasa al-'Ala'iyiyya OL, OP, Cd'O, etc.
"The Equestrian Mistress"
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Mounted Companion of the Lance of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html