[Artemisia] Starting Groups, long but (I hope) worth it

tangl tangl at myway.com
Tue Mar 15 09:40:05 CST 2005

Well, I realize I'm not in the Northern Reaches, but I did play there while I was under my An Tiran exile. A lot.  I had someone ask me once why I didn't come to the BSK business meetings.  I love that area, even though I have not been able to return in far too long.

I think the crux of the sitch is more a growth issue than a change-for-the-sake-of-changing issue.  Trust me, you go Principality, you'll get southern folks up there. Why?  Because everybody loves a good investiture!  Coronet List are a draw.  Principality events such as Arts and Sciences or Prince's Champion get the blood motivated.  People who feel unready to make it to the finals in the Crown List will go full bore in a Coronet List because it's more personal.

I think y'all should just skip to the Principality stage instead of taking the baby steps.  You've already taken the baby steps, for years.  That's part of the unpleasantness is that you guys feel ready for this but feel we southerners won't approve.

Well, so what?  This isn't about the ambitions of the Southern Reaches.  It's about you.  You want Bronzehelm to become a Barony?  Have the Prince and Princess visit a couple times and they'll take that step.  Stan Wyrm stan'in still? Commission someone there to make the new Principality Coronets and you'll see someone itchin' to make baronial ones.

This is a change that will spark motivation like we have not seen in about 20 years.  People get pumped when they get to the Principality level of play and I don't believe it will cause a "bigger rift", but rather might make folks here decide to make a Southern Principality so we can have even more cool stuff to do.  This is all stuff that will snowball into a stronger dynamic!

Plus, we can do some of the fun things with court we have stopped doing since we grew up.  Keeping things formal during the Coronation of the new Crown is appropriate, but bumping off the old prince was damned creative!  After months of insinuation and assassination attempts, Prince Eddie was done in by poisoned drink.  Princess Laurellen's untimely blunt trauma demise was hilarious and probably the only way to get Prince Aveloc to retire at the time.

I heard talk from folks at Coronation that court has gotten a bit stuffy, and playing with a principality again will shake that up. So, quit thinking Northern Via Polissireaches and go for the gold, people. You're way past the crawling stages.

Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway
Barony of Arn Hold
Kingdom of Artemisia

-If you can't be a good example, at least you can be a horrible warning.~ Catherine