[Artemisia] Kingdom Growth

Morgan Wolf morganwolf at sofast.net
Thu Mar 17 21:55:01 CST 2005

Oh Beauteous Viscountess,

To that (SCA being too much work and not enough fun) I DO have a solution,
one that works well for me but may be slightly more difficult for you-
Hang out with newbies for a while.  Don't instruct, advise, teach, say
anything, just watch, listen, and answer questions without pontificating
(not saying you do, just saying).
Do you remember what it's like to say "why does she get to wear such a
pretty dress?" or "I want spurs, can I just buy them at the tack store, or
do they have to be special SCA spurs?" or any of the other newbie questions
that make most 'seasoned' members twitch, but that reveal the simple joy of
the Game.
Heck, it's even easier than that, go to Court, and actually listen.  Pay
attention to what that AoA scroll is saying about that person, watch that
award-shock play across their face.  Don't worry about dinner, or packing
up, or whatever, just be part of the Peerage ceremony happening right in
front of you.  Knightings still bring tears to my eyes, because I still
remember the first one I saw, and all of the ones in between.
The awestruck voice saying "I just got asked to be a Lady in Waiting for the
Queen, what do I do?" still, for me, outweighs the "Morgan really screwed up
this time" I hear all-too often.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF ..., TELL STORIES!!!!  Tell the newbies about Sean and
the Banner, or How Alan Cupped Himself, or Despot Geoffrey's Unbeatable
Challenge, or Etienne and the Cloven Watermelon, or any of the million or so
stories about when YOU HAD FUN! This is a hobby, it's only as much work and
drudgery as we make it.

Morgan