[Artemisia] question about circlets god help me

Morgan Wolf morganwolf at sofast.net
Thu Mar 31 09:16:59 CST 2005

In short milord, it is inter-Kingdom anthropology.
In some other kingdoms a person receiving an Award of Arms is presented or
allowed to wear a small (like 1/4 inch wide) metal circlet in recognition of
their rank, similar to the medallions of Pelicans and Laurels,
belts/spurs/etc of Knights, coronets of Barons/esses.  It has been a topic
of debate in our kingdom since we were part of Atenveldt, and occasionally a
heated debate at that.  Some who move here from kingdoms that give circlets
feel they should be allowed to wear them here, others feel that they should
respect the Sumptuary Customs of Artemisia and not wear them.  As for
Artemisia, when someone receives an Award of Arms, they are girded with a
black belt and dagger by the Crown, symbolizing that they are trusted to
come armed into the Royal Presence, and given a golden "A", to signify that
they are an Artemisian Armiger.  I believe we are the only kingdom doing
those two things, but I could be wrong.  What I find unpleasant is that the
belt and dagger must be returned after court, or sometimes during court, to
be used for the next Award of Arms, unless the recipient's household has
provided a belt and dagger for the Crown to bestow permanently.  Having said
that, I don't think it is up to the Crown to change that, but up to all of
us to make sure that, if we know someone going to receive an AoA, we make
sure that a belt and dagger are given to the retinue before court.

Morgan