[Artemisia] Kids at Solstice

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 09:34:02 CST 2006

>I would like to take this time to publicly thank Lady Aurora for all she
>does and all she did during Solstice Court yesterday.  Because of her, the
>kids were happy and stimulated in her room of crafts and treats and
>projects.  I was honored to be able to assist her in the small way I did by
>helping the kids with their projects.  I know that I would have needed to
>miss Solstice and be Mommy at home had we not been able to use and abuse
>this fine lady.  She gave me a day at court, and I very much appreciate
>that previlage.
>
>So...Lady Aurora...thank you very much for your hard work and never ending
>patience with our kids.

Lady Allegretza, you and your Lord Padruig are just determined to make me
blush. :)

Like all the other aspects of such a large event, youth activities just
wouldn't happen without a small army of volunteers working behind the scenes
to make the magic possible. The Honorable Lady Bethoc and Lady Luveday spent
many, many hours sewing and painting the 9 Mens Morris boards that were part
of the Yule largesse; Bethoc donated all the supplies for those. The
Honorable Lord Broka, our gentleman defender, kept us safe from hunger and
thirst while we labored. ;)

The Honorable Lady Maeve endured recuperative exhaustion and really strong
cold meds to bring us her beautiful Sicilian marionettes--and she still had
the strength to tease the children as Black Peter.  Her fortitude amazes me.

I particularly want to thank The Honorable Lady Bronwyn the Embroiderer and
The Honorable Lord Hogar for their efforts in bringing Father Christmas to
visit. The adults as well as the children were enchanted by his kindness and
his wondrous appearance. (Thank you for the oranges, too.)

To the parents of Arrows' Flight--you rock! My load was lightened
considerably by the time and effort you tendered. Thank you as well,
Allegretza, for the tangerines. Lord Robert Bedlam, thank you for your
patience as certain young ladies kept beating you at 9 Mens Morris.  :)
Thank you, Lady Siren and Lord Darius, for watching over the kids as I took
some time to eat. And thank you, Dame Thea, for reminding me that I *can*
actually take a break when I need it--I tend to become compulsive when I'm
in the midst of a project.

(Did I miss anyone? I hope not!)

My apologies to the adults at the Reeve's station and the games tables who
were disrupted when the kids initially went Chasing the Wren. Wiry young
boys have a habit of taking physical games in directions I don't intend.  :/
  My thanks to the grown-ups who helped keep succeeeding rounds of the bird
toss on the dance floor. The funniest moment of my day was when Lord Vidar
held the bird far above his head and the children attempted to climb him;
they looked like a pack of puppies trying to scale a massive pine tree.

If anyone would like to share photographs of youth activities at the event,
please send digital files to the Loch Salann web minister. I'm told he'll be
updating the baronial web page of the holidays.

Also, if anyone stumbled across a pack of four wooden dreidels and a bag of
bubblegum coins wrapped in blue and silver--they're part of the MOY
supplies. Please contact me if they wound up coming home with your feast
gear.

Thank you, all, for your generosity of spirit and the warmth of community.
I'm off to New York for the holidays--and I'll be back in time to jump
headlong into boffer training come January!

Aurora de Portugal
Minister of Youth
for Loch Salann