[Artemisia] SCA in new.... mom sues...

Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil archergodwin at cableone.net
Thu Dec 14 07:21:10 CST 2006

Where my kids attended middle school, the mascot was a knight on horseback,
carrying a lance.

Where they attended high school, the mascot was the same as in the story, a
Patriot carrying a flintlock rifle.

That mascot is on the side of the school, the yearbook and assorted other
material, public and other. I'll bet it's the same at that school in RI.

The zero-tolerance rule applys to weapons on school grounds and school sponsored
activities, not in representations of the school.

I absolutely agree with the no-tolerance policy of live weapons on school grounds.
(don't get me started with the demos we give... on school grounds... with live
weapons,.... see it is arbitrarily enforced).

However there is no valid legal argument the school can make against the boy's
picture. The school is already represented by a weapon carrying person, the
picture was not taken on school grounds, the parents and young man paid for the
yearbook and the yearbook is not produced by the public school system.

As a matter of fact, the plaintiffs in this case, could ratchet the lawsuit up
and require that the rifle be removed from all depictions of the patriot mascot:
could require all references to "fighting" or "fight", as in "go - fight - win",
or other violence, be removed from the lines of all cheers.

Lawsuits can get as stupid as both sides will allow.

Godwin