[Artemisia] Rebel or not...

tangl tangl at myway.com
Thu Dec 14 19:16:13 CST 2006

Yeah, when I read that last bit, I definitely fell on the side of the parents. Zero tolerance really does mean that. Like thas been said: If a picture of a guy holding a sword is banned, then a picture of a guy holding a gun gets to be banned as well. Both were fictional characters.

That's the trouble with this particular situation. I'm a card-carrying NRA Republican, just like my husband, the teacher. We don't want to be having to ban pictures of either of those guys when taken in context. Trouble is, they NEVER seem to be taken in context. What we've had to do as a society is play to the lowest common denominator while taking hits from the clever ones.

What ends up happening is this sort of ridiculous extreme. What the schools ultimately want is to NOT have Michael Moore shoot a film about their student body. The parent, who honestly just wants her son to be able to enjoy his life-affirming, courtesy-inducing hobby and be proud of it, ends up going against the school, who just wants a safe learning environment with teachers who aren't afraid to come to work and kids who can read and do math equations.

On the common sense side, these are not mutually exclusive goals. It's only when people stop looking at the common sense side of things that it gets this bad. The really bad news is that,when/if she wins this lawsuit, then "Copkiller" will be slammin' at the Homecoming dance. Why? Because if you give the clever ones an inch, they'll eat the whole bloody thing.

Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway
Barony of Arn Hold
Kingdom of Artemisia

-Chuck Norris can blow bubbles with beef jerky.