[Artemisia] another question.. different topic

BECKY LEISHMAN leishman10 at msn.com
Wed May 3 11:38:29 CDT 2006

Good point,

Notice, I did not say adults with the knowledge and skill, I said persons... this would indeed include other youth with talent (prior winners or not) who are willing to share their skills and knowledge.  Despite sometimes 'popular belief', you do not need to be an expert or a champion in a field to start teaching an art form to someone else, you simply have to have enough interest (and skill) in the subject to be able to motivate others to learn.  Everything starts with the basics.  Once you have the basics down, teach it to somebody else (entry level), as you grow your own skills start teaching more advanced techniques. I find it rather exciting when someone who I've taught something to (both child and adult) at an entry level who takes the initiative to do further research and greatly exceeds my own skill level. That is totally awesome.

Something folks need to know is that the youth program is NOT a babysitting service, when you are working with kids in this capacity, you are there as as a 'teacher', not their mother or their sitter. And yes, some folks are actually afraid to work with kids or just don't like them...  they are not all that scary - really... and you don't have to LOVE kids, just put your distaste for the little creatures aside for a time and be willing to work with them for an hour or two (not your entire life, no-one expects you to take over the MOY function), who knows, you might actually grow to like the youngins (even the more difficult ones). While the MOY will oft times provide activities for kids that are 'just for fun'... they also have a serious interest in  incorporating educational and skill building opportunities for the kids as well (sometimes these are also 'disguised' as 'fun stuff).  The trick to teaching kids, and keeping their attention is to make learning as fun or as interesting as possible.

I remember taking an adult class on cardweaving - then thinking it was kind of fun, opted to teach it to the kids at a weekly meeting (ok, maybe several times since)  There were quite a few youth in attendance, most of whom at least tried.  One youth in particular, not only tried, but went on to weave belts and bookmarks for her friends.  Unfortunately this youth moved away and was not here to compete in the next Kingdom A&S event, more than likely, she would have been a winner that year. However she was very excited about her accomplishment and came back and displayed her completed work.  I was just as excited about it as she was !!!  This in turn got me more motivated to learn about and then teach other subjects as well.

When I want to teach the kids something that I don't have a clue about nor the time to learn myself, I'd try to round up someone who did know a thing or two... being new to the game myself at the time, figuring out who these folks are can be quite the challenge (which is why it would be nice if folks would volunteer their services instead of waiting to be asked).  Several people in this barony have stepped up and assisted in this endeavor... one in particular.... Voltarra taught a two visit (2 hours each) class on calligraphy and illumination during an indoor fighter practice. This class ended up inspiring several young people, one of whom was a very 'troubled youth' and only with us for a few short weeks ... her brief encounter with this child, not only encouraged this teen to stay in school, but he also submitted his illuminated page to an arts competition at his school and did very well with it, he also became deeply interested in history as well as art history.. another went on to submit a page at a local A&S competition.  Again, the point is, when it comes to kids, you never know the impact you will have on them, not only as a part of the SCA, but in their general lives as well.

Another thing to note, when entry level classes are being taught to kids, their might be adults out there who want to learn it too.  Welcome them, share your knowledge with them as well, however at the same time, remember, you are there to teach the kids. Don't let the interested adult take all of your attention.

Again, I encourage you all to step up and be a part of teaching the youth as well as the new members of Artemisia. As many have said, they are your leaders and artisans of the future.

Thanks
Bethoc