[Artemisia] field heraldry competition

Cat no1home at onewest.net
Tue May 30 18:29:28 CDT 2006

While I can understand using a movie with showy field heraldry as a
model for spiff field heraldry, however that Hollywood mangled it,
pray give me a moment to respectfully point out that there is no
substitute for the real thing, i.e. the period practice of heraldry
for the lists.

There are many references on medieval tournaments but unfortunately
many of them are either obscure, out-of-print or in languages other
than English.  As a hard core Pas d'Armes junkie, I've read many of
the relevant references and somewhere have a file folder full of
copied pages on the subject.  But this helps no one!

BUT WAIT...!

I have recently discovered that one of the best period references to
medieval tournaments is now available in English translation and is
online, courtesy of Princeton University.  There are sections that
describe the actual words recommended to heralds to use upon the
field during the various parts of the tourney.  The form and
substance of these are easily adaptable to SCA usage in the lists.  I
give you here the following URL in hopes that all aspiring field
heralds might read and study this tome, King Rene's Tournament Book,
in hopes that it may add to the period feel and flair of the upcoming
field heraldry competition.

http://www.princeton.edu/~ezb/rene/renehome.html

ttfn
Therasia