[Artemisia] More Estrella Site Info

Dame Theodora damethea at inbox.com
Wed Nov 1 12:59:39 CST 2006

Well, I had planned to post my observations about the site to the list today, but Aurora beat me to it with her post. :)  I also have more photos in addition to those that were posted to the Estrella website.  The link for the photos will be posted as soon as I get the album set up.

I agree with the Caidan message that was forwarded here.  There is nice, flat, campable land.  It will be good camping.  I am very sensitive to alfalfa and dust, and I did not have a reaction during the site visit.  (Disclaimer:  I did take an over the counter allergy medication before I went, but that wasn't a guarantee)  Even with the steady breeze, I did not have any reactions.  It is irrigated farmland, and the site will be mowed in advance of our arrival.

There are some issues regarding ants.  There are, as stated, some pretty substantial ant hills at various places on the site.  And we **ARE NOT** allowed to use **ANY** pesticides.  The site staff are working with the site owner to figure out a way to solve the problem.

Also, another big issue is going to be grey water disposal.  We **ARE NOT** allowed to drain grey water on the ground or into the irrigation ditches.  We also have been told digging a drainage pit in the ground and backfilling it later is not an option.  There will be grey water holding tanks placed in various areas around the site (probably near the porta johns), and each camp will be responsible for coming up with a way to get grey water from their camp to the holding tanks.  Please think of this for your camp.

If you have a way to bring a wagon or garden cart, you will probably want it.  While the site is flat, it is some distance from one end to the other, and carrying things like weapons or your purchases on merchant's row would be easier with some type of cart.

There is a site map on the Estrella War page that will give you a sense of what to expect.  The link is on the left side of the main page under "Maps and Related Links".

If you have not already sent in your preregistration, please do so, and consider paying for a parking space.  Once you designate a parking space, it will be yours for the duration of the war, and if someone else parks in it, they **WILL BE TOWED**!!

If you have any questions about the site and land allocation matters, please contact me.  If I don't have the answer, I will try to get it for you.  I will be sending a separate message in the next few days outlining how to receive land for your camping group.

~thea