[Artemisia] Boccee - was Period Toys & Games Question

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 10:17:32 CDT 2006

Good Micheal,
  Boccie sets can be purchased commercially anywhere one buys sporting equipment and from many modern mundane toy stores.  They are more modern in their look, but have not really changed drastically from times past (except perhaps for the substances they are made from and the overly bright colors of paint due to modern polymers).  Boccie as we know it today, with it's more standardized rules, it very post 1700.  However there were multiple version that used the same toss out a small ball and then try to throw your bigger ones to get as close to the first one as possible, versions and variations that are the "period" predecessor to our more modern Boccie that can be played using the same modern Boccie set.  At many Arn Hold camping events we have folks who do a rolling roving Boccie game all over the encampment (including one time going inside the tent of one of our good lady's with her consent which added much amusement).  Look me up sometime at an event and we can discuss
 the more "period" versions that pre-date modern Boccie, taught to me by Baron Niccolo the champion of lets all play "period" games please <grin>.
  Fondly,
  Dame Rachel
  Baroness of Arn Hold

Michael the Loud <hanhebin at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I haven't played Boccee since... (it's been more than
30 years) Where did you get your Boccee equipment? I
haven't been brave enough or had the time to turn my
own set. I'm still trying to figure out how to turn
chess pieces on my springpole lathe.

Michael

PS> More of a modern bowler myself. Blew another 300
last night in the 11th.

“There have always been tyrants, and for a time
   they prosper.  But they always lose in the end, always.”
- M Gandhi
  SCA:  Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!