[Artemisia] RE: Background checks

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 15:33:37 CDT 2007

Excellency,

As noted in the original post, the check is not as stringent as the one used by the BSA, so if you've passed that, you would pass the SCA one.

As for the rest, consider our method of deciding on our officers for any position.  No public announcement is ever made as to why someone isn't chosen, it's just announced that someone else was chosen, or that the position is still open for bids.
Consider the recent change in the Kingdom Seneschal's Office.  At Coronation it was announced that Her Excellency Mistress Juliana was the new Seneschal, not that the other candidate was not chosen, in fact I'm willing to bet that the majority of the Kingdom did not even realize there was another candidate.  So, unless the candidate themselves say something, the general populace won't be aware that they weren't chosen because the failed the check, unless of course the Crown announces their banishment shortly thereafter.

Realistically, it is doubtful that anyone will ever fail, since anyone with the kind of charges in their history that are the concern would probably not be willing to volunteer themselves for a background check.  I personally think we need to watch most carefully for those who refuse the check but still hang around to "help out" with the youth activities.

This isn't a witch hunt, it's a rabid dog hunt, and we're only looking for the ones who've already been diagnosed with rabies, and we're testing them to be sure.  How much more "fair" could we be to the dogs without waiting for them to actually bite?  This check is the best we can do short of waiting for someone to actually molest a child at an event, and I for one don't want that to be the prerequisite to removing a *known* molester from our Society.

Last note- if I had kids, you are on the short list of people I'd trust them with, background check or not.
Morgan