[Artemisia] Heraldic Suicide (was: For Dicussion - College of Heraldry return in 2000)

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Sat Aug 11 11:56:02 CDT 2007

I'm grateful to both you, Mistress Therasia, and to the Baroness
Shauna for taking the time to express your opinions about this issue.
I have learned a lot, although some of your discussion went over my
head, I'm afraid, Mistress Therasia. I'm obviously ignorant about a
lot of period name things: Ella de Verne vs. Eilis O'Bourne?
Rosamonde of the Garden--that one's floating around in my brain as a
reference I should catch but can't quite put my finger on? I did get
Joseph and Emma of Palmyra. I guess living in Utah all my life has
familiarized me with some useless trivia.

I think that what both your opinions have helped me do is really put
my finger on my objection to the decision. I think I would agree with
Baroness Shauna and the decision made at the time had Palme d'Or been
another order in the SCA, where it was likely to cause name confusion
among non-French speaking populace members if both were ever
mentioned together. However, to protect a French speaking group of
people from two common words like apple and palm makes no sense to me
at all.

Baroness Shauna, I am not a member of Arn Hold and have no idea
whatsoever what ever happened with their order and so have no basis
for appeal. I brought the decision up as a topic of interest only. I
am certain some members of Arn Hold are on this list, and I would be
curious to know what eventually happened to this order and what name
it ended up with.

Thank you again,
Belladonna