[Artemisia] Smalls and language

Bruce Padget bapadget at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 16:00:07 CDT 2007

First, just for fun, some period English words for
children:

Baby, infant, faunt, damsel, stripling, youth, child,
bairn, boy, groom, knave, lad, girl, lass, maid,
wench.  (Orme, _Medieval Children_, p. 6)
Smalls/smale/smalle isn't listed, but Orme doesn't
claim his list is exhaustive.  There were also some
interesting quirks.  A chaste knight might be called a
"maid."  Christ was referred to as a "wenchel," an
early form of "wench."  In earlier times, a "girl" was
a child of either gender.  But then, in one literary
reference, a character asks, "a boy or a child?"

As discussed at length elsewhere, I favor diversity in
language.  However, I find that the typical Artemisian
does not, in fact, favor diversity.  First, there are
those few who insist that "smalls" is *the* SCA word
for children.  (Gawdelpus, I've known times and places
where the word was "halfling.")

More important, because more widespread, I've noticed
that the pseudo-diversity in Artemisian wordplay tends
very heavily in the direction of silliness and
in-jokes.  These aren't bad, but if they're the
overwhelming tendencies in one's language, that really
isn't very diverse.

Did that clank like a guantlet hitting the floor?  I
hope so.

So what other considerations can drive wordplay?  How
about historical accuracy, euphony, formality, and
respect?

My challenge?  In your wordplay, apply at least as
much energy toward making beautiful and respectful
speech as you do toward making cute and silly speech.
The skill-sets are the same, all that changes is the
intention.

I have discussed these ideas with folks who fear that
their attempts at formality and respect sound stiff.
Muscles are stiff if you don't exercise them
regularly!

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com

(Resolving to get more such exercise myself.  I used
to be good at this stuff!)