[Artemisia] SCA mission statement

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Tue Aug 14 08:20:34 CDT 2007

Esther,
go to the governing docs/policy and at or near the beginning would be our
mission statement (I've forgotten exactly where it is - sorry - will look
later).  Ideally this is a VERY short statement (the Keep It Simple Sweetie
Law) about your organization's mission.  Today, organizations have both a
mission and a vision statement.  A vision statement is also a VERY short
paragraph.  Two examples I have handy are:

(1)    The Glacier Institute, a private non-profit organization, serves
adults and children as an educational leader in the Crown of the Continent
ecosystem with Glacier Nat'l Park and the Flathead Nat'l Forest as its
center.  Emphasizing field-based learning experiences the Institute provides
an objective and science based understanding of the area's ecology andc its
interaction with people.  Through this non-advocacy approach to outdooor
education, participants can be better prepared to make informed and
constructive decisions which impact this and other ecosystems.

(2)  Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
Mission Statement:  The mission of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is
to keep Missoula County's history alive for the education and enjoyment of
the public.

Vision Statement:  The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is dedicated to
increasing the knowledge and understanding of the history of the county and
city of Missoula, the history of Fort Missoula and the military presence in
the area, and the history of forest management and the wood products
industry in western Montana. Through an aggressive program of collections,
exhibits, educational opportunities and special events, the Museum seeks to
stimulate creative thought and enhance the self-esteem of residents of and
visitors to Missoula, providing a sense of place, time and space for all.

To that end, insofar as its resources permit, the Museum collects, preserves
and interprets objects and informational materials related to the
exploration, founding and evolution of the community and county of Missoula,
the development of Fort Missoula and the myriad aspects of the military
presence in the area, and of the history of forest management and the wood
products industry. The Museum collects, preserves and interprets objects
from the period of the earliest exploration to the present in order to
present a coherent and total picture. These objects and informational
materials are made available for study and enjoyment of all, in a pleasant,
secure, safe and accessible setting.  Approved by the Board of Trustees:
June 14, 2004  (NOTE:  1st paragraph is the Vision and the 2nd paragraph is
the 'how to'.)

YIS,

Bronwen of Irenwold (who just got thru another strategic planning for
2008-2013 process at work, yep, the Historical Museum; but it wasn't so bad
this time since we had already done this before.