[Artemisia] SCA mission statement

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 19:33:25 CDT 2007

  I like the idea of an SCA mission statement!  I want to hear everyone ideas and see what we all agree on <Mission Impossible theme begins>   Esther

  snipped bit I liked:
"And again, I must disagree. We are not a 15th Century tourney society, focused only on the armor and combat and behavior of that rather limited concept, that is true. Nor, from what I have read from those original members, is that what they really intended. We are indeed spread hither and yon, across the span of the globe and a full millenium of time. We have many people who do indeed enjoy the 15th century tourney society concept, who view armored tournament combat as the central focus of the SCA, and to be honest as long as we choose our Kings that way, it will be. BUT, there are many of us, you included, who don't believe that tournament combat is the ONLY focus of the SCA, nor should it be. I dare to include you as an example in my disagreement with you because I know damn well that your Laurel is not for 15th century tourney combat. Chivalry, Courtesy, Noblesse Oblige, Prowess, Generosity, and Courtly Love. Once we introduce Ted and Ethel to these concepts, the next
 step is to show them how they can live them now and then, on weekends. the third step is to impress upon Ted and Ethel that not all of us leave these concepts in the closet with our garb, but instead try to live up to the Chivalric Ideal every single day. You see a lack of focus, I see a focus on acceptance, politeness, and generosity that makes us much stronger than a focus on some historically specific period or place. You fear that lack of focus will destroy us, I *know*, in the deepest core of my soul, that our very broad, unrestrictive focus will not only make us stronger, in years to come it will make us even more attractive to the modern people around us."