[Artemisia] My 2 pence worth comment on Court and Awards thread

Regis Johanns regis at inav.net
Thu Aug 16 14:40:50 CDT 2007

Good Folk,

Let me be so bold as to offer an opinion or two regarding SCA Mission
Statement and Recognition:

First please realize that I have taken just the below quote to comment
on and I pray that my ideas do not badly twist or take their point out
of the context they intended.   My Mundane history is as a retired
Soldier and SCA history is that I am an Ex-Patriate (SP?)
Drachenwalder, Former Territorial and Court Hearld (currently with out
credentials).  I mention this to give you insight into my thoughts.  If
I ruffle any feathers in my comments, My disclaimer is that this is only
my opinion not gospel of any kind and no harm or negativity is intended
in the least.  When my mischevious sense of humor, after all I was a
hearld, pops into my comments I will try and place it in Parentensis.
Please understand that I am trying to further this thread in a positive
spirit yet not be too stuffy as this is to me just a game, a great and
wonderful game that I enjoy playing with such fine folk.

It was written:

"The SCA award structure has been very good to me, so I
hope I will be forgiven for asking why it is that so
much time and energy is taken with things that are, at
best, peripheral to our stated goals."
[end snip]

I believe that so much energy is placed upon recognition and Court
acknowledgment is due to several factors.  First People need
recognition, it encourages and promotes behavior and activities that
benefit the group.  The military often has thankless low paying jobs but
does a good job of recognizing achievement, valor and sacrifice with
medals and ribbons.   I will (probably badly butcher) a quote attributed
to Napoleon Bonaparte ( not to be confused with N. Dynamite <grin>)
"Give enough pretty ribbon and I can inspire men to win battles".   Lets
face it the autocrats of events, artisans, skilled warriors and
courteous Smalls (sorry, should that be Kids? )  all do service and work
hard for zero pay.  They all deserve reward and recognition from their
friends and Peers.  Frankly some of us get very little satisfaction or
positive recognition in our mundane lives.  A pretty scroll, a piece of
largess from the King or Baron or just a publicly spoken praise goes a
long way towards fulfilling that need.  We all use the SCA as a bit of
pleasant escape from the sometimes dreary Mundane world.  Being awarded
or praised for acheivments may be a huge boost to a persons self-esteem
and feeling of worth especially if they are not getting positive
attention elsewhere.

We all get a sense of belonging to something bigger then just ourselves
when recognized for achievements.  When we recognize someone for
achievement, it encourages and inspires others to step up and do good
things.

In a truly period court, I suspect that more time was spent having the
King or Baron judging the merits of his subjects petitions and handing
out punishments for those that have offended or broken laws.  This is
one of those anachronisms that I am glad we do not have to deal much
with.  So in my opinion it leaves the friendly recognition and pageantry
part of the court experience to focus on.

Lastly, I think that the Nobles that give the rewards and recognition
benefit as it allows them to act in a Kingly or Noble fashion.   It is
almost the same satisfaction to have the ability or power to reward
others as it is to be the recipient.  Even though I state and believe
that this is indeed a game, its important to keep it fun, positive and
sometimes a little whimsy and frivolity is essential.

Yours in service to the Society,

Anton von Heidleberg