[Artemisia] SCA Mission Statement and Recognition

Bruce Padget bapadget at pop.mail.yahoo.com
Fri Aug 17 03:07:24 CDT 2007

Replying to Lord Padruig:

<I was under the assumption that what you describe is>
<largely what occurs in "peer circles", making such>
<unnecessary, or redundant, in "court">

You assume incorrectly, not only in the particulars, but possibly in an
underlying assumption.  I was brought up that, in the Society, all are
of noble birth unless they explicitly choose otherwise, or by their
conduct prove otherwise.  Thus, virtually all in the SCA -- not just
peers -- would be entitled to attend court in the historical sense of
the word.  Not as a mostly-passive audience, but as participants in the
give-and-take of court.

See, I do favor egalitarianism in the SCA.  Not an egalitarianism that
says we're all equally low, but an egalitarianism that holds us all to
be equally high.

<would another word for courtiers then be "fawning sycophants?">

That's the $64,000 question, no?  If you wish to see discussion of the
issue from various viewpoints, take a read at The Book of the Courtier.
For more cynical period point of view, check out a fun little play
called "Il Cortigiana." The ideal courtier is a good and entertaining
companion, a loyal servant, and an honest adviser.  (All things I'm sure
we'd hate to re-create.)  These period works discuss whether the ideal
courtier is possible and/or prevalent.

I like to think the ideal courtier (and his female counterpart, the
donna di palazzo) are possible, and I try to work toward an SCA where
they, or earlier-period counterparts of them, are prevalent. That's what
I mean when I speak of the middle ages as they should have been.

<While I can appreciate the accuracy that may be present >
<in these examples, I do not see the need to be "Totally Accurate">
<in our recreations of period events.  I was told that we >
<re-reate the middle ages "as they should have been".   I don't>
<know that I would care to sit through despensations of judgement>
<and punishments, >

The sort of court I'm talking about is quite different from law courts
or chancery courts, by the way.  The examples I gave include almost no
"dispensations of justice."

<and other discussions that, while they may>
<be accurate, are, quite frankly, even less interesting than>
<watching paint dry.   I personally enjoy court the way it is>
<now.   The occasional "dispensations" of justice are interesting, >
<but I much prefer it to be occasional>

Yes...the bawdy stories in the Decameron, the duels in rhyme in
Dangerous Beauty, the barbed jokes in The Courtier, Harry's regal answer
to the Dauphin's jest.  Boring, boring stuff.

Regards,
Niccolo
bapadget at yahoo.com