[Artemisia] Harvest War classes- judging A&S (longish)

Angela Zentz allegretza at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 15:46:41 CDT 2007

<snip>
Question- Don't you think that the judges should make an effort to be nice in their judging?
Answer- No, I think they should be impartial, honest, polite, and judge the entry solely on it's merits, not on who the artisan is and what they've done in the past.
  <snip>

      I would like to change your answer just slightly, Morgan...as long as the negative feedback is given politely and respectfully.  As an entrant I, for one, would like to know what I did *wrong* on an entry so that I can learn and not do it in future projects.  I also need to know what I did *right* on the same project.  No one likes to be told their project sucks--so as a judge be respectful of their feelings.  Also, as a judge, judge the project honestly and fairly.  Don't tell them what they want to hear--tell them what they need to hear to improve.  At the same time, remember as an entrant, your project will be dissected and examined looking for both positive and negative.  Know that it will be closely checked out.  Then all can learn and grow and be better at whatever skill that was entered.  Because, after all, isn't that why entrants entered projects??  To improve??
      I have always enjoyed hearing and reading what other people have had to say about my entries--both positive AND negative.  I try to take what is said and utilize it--someone took the time to not only examine my entry, but then to give me advice on how to improve it--I would be stupid and ungrateful if I didn't utilize the advice.  I have never had a *bad* or rude judge, and I do not think I am an exception.  I think as long as people treat people how they would want to be treated, we will be fine.

  Lady Allegretza
  A&S Champion of Arrow's Flight