[Artemisia] SCA Mission Statement and Recognition

JRoss007 at aol.com JRoss007 at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 19:50:27 CDT 2007

In a message dated 8/18/2007 4:59:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
hanhebin at yahoo.com writes:

>  There is more to the awards of the SCA.

If you remove awards from the  SCA wouldn't be the
group it is today.  Without awards the SCA would  not
completely die but the SCA would be anywhere near the
size it is  today.

Michael

           I have been  sitting back and reading this discussion with a smile
on my face and  appreciating the free entertainment.
    That said , yes I agree, that if you did away with  the award system of
the SCA that it would not be the SCA that we know and love  today. But , would
it be worse?   I have been a member of the SCA for  about <mumble mumble>
years. <G>  almost 25, for those wanting  some detail. I have 2 awards to my name.
My AoA, and The Defender of The Keep  from Barony of Sentinels Keep. This
does not bother me, I am here to learn  things and to have fun while getting away
from the mundane world. Yes ,   did start out as one of those after an excuse
to party and get drunk, but as I  grew older (not grew up) I discovered that
there was much more to life that just  booze and floozies. (And besides,
mundane booze and floozies can be a lot  cheaper.)
    For the last 7 years I had made fighting the  primary focus of my SCA
life, not a bad desire, but not perfect.
  I have suprized myself by not having donned armor even once in the  last
year. One reason was of course a lack of inspiration, but also at Uprising,  so
many classes and other things to do ( like walking the plank and spreading
the truth to the known world about pirates.)
   I have been wondering myself, do we perhaps Over do it on the  awards and
such? I do not know.
    If I had that kind of information perhaps I could  predict the lottery
ticket numbers and not worry about where my next car payment  is coming from.
But perhaps there is too much focus on such things.
Now that I have been writing for the last 15 minutes, (and reflecting on
what I really wanted to say) I find that I have lost the original train of
thought and my mind now wanders aimlessly across the keyboard.
    I now return you to your previously unscheduled  discusion,already in
progress.

    Lord Eoin Maclulich