[Artemisia] help

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Sun Aug 19 12:03:16 CDT 2007

What a good idea Morgan.  How long does it last?  I would further suggest
that the denser the terry cloth threads are the better the 'lining' will
hold up.  Depending on one's sewing machine, you may want to consider either
a paper lining covering the terry cloth while you sew and then tear away, or
a lightweight, loosely woven [read breathable] lining as the base.  This is
because it's possible to 'pick up' the terry threads and 'run with them' on
this type of project.  Even doing it by hand you may want a paper lining
(this is a particular kind and ask for it.  (Others on the list will know
the name and I don't remember at the moment - sorry.)

Also the diamond stitching design is good for holding everything in place
even when some of the stitches pull out.  Even better is a 100% cotton
canvas that you have washed several times before using (as well as the terry
cloth).  Though there are different canvases out there and Alan and Morgan
and other fighters will have better suggestions.  I do know that some of the
'less expensive' canvas contains a number of additives that you should wash
out by machine - not your body (ha).

Your fingers are sore?  This is heavy stuff!  Are you using some form of a
thimble?  It's a good idea to learn to use one in this instance.  And
quilting thread (which you probably are - don't know if you have quilted
before so no insult intended).  You can use other types of thread but
quilting thread is made to specifically to pull through the 'sandwich' of a
quilt - you're not as likely to see your batting pull through (whatever it
may be).

Hope is helpful; have fun!

HE Bronwen