[Artemisia] "urbanite" construction experience?

Tamar Black Sea tamar at coteduciel.org
Mon Aug 27 21:04:22 CDT 2007

Oh boy Your Grace!!!

That is one seriously loaded question :-) . Years ago, just after I
finished my degree in history, I became obsessed with having to build a
stone wall. I decided to build a dry stone wall with the stones that are
about 12 inches under the soil where I live; which happens to be the
north east shore of where Lake Bonneville used to be about 10,000 years
ago. (I like to joke that we live on lake front property.) The stones
that are here are smoothed and rounded cobble that rolled around the
edges of the lake. They are kind of like deformed bowling balls. I
quickly discovered that you cannot make a foundation with them, dry or
otherwise.

I needed something that was cheap (ie free) for a foundation and decided
to get broken up concrete, ...urbanite... to use for the foundation. I
got truck-loads of it from the local dump. It worked spectacularly well
compared to the cobble bowling balls. Of course, everything works better
than bowling balls so I may not be the best judge. :-)

My drystone bowling ball wall fell apart in short order so I eventually
gave in and used a mortar and "chinking" system. The wall is far from
perfect, but it is still standing to this day. I admit, that I gave into
temptation here and there and used the "urbanite" in difficult places
like corners because "urbanite" is so much more uniform a building
material than cobble bowling balls.

When you haul "urbanite" around, be careful of spiders. I found a bunch
of black widows under the concrete chunks that I picked up from the dump.

So my vote on the value of urbanite, for what it is worth:

        It is easy, it is cheap,  but it is ugly.

If the famous Duke Guy from Caid found a way to make "urbanite" look
good, I would sincerely love to see it because I genuinely like it as a
building material....But then again, that is compared to "bowling balls".

YIS,
Tamar Black Sea