[Artemisia] Period Sweets

rcfaevans at comcast.net rcfaevans at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 09:30:55 CDT 2007

Like pastry, custards are not difficult.  You just need to get the 'feel' for them.  The key to making a custard is having the right equipment:  Pot, good wire wisk, good gas range.  Heat control is everything.  That's why a round-bottom, heavy copper pot is necessary.  I have tried using my coleman propane stove, but the heat is inconsistent.  Too cool: it won't cook fast enough and it dries out.  Too hot: you burn it.  Even the smallest burn will cause the entire custard to taste like an ash tray.  A double-boiler produces a custard with 'thick spots' and 'thin spots', so it just isn't right.

I went through several dozen eggs before I got the 'feel' for this.  But, it is worth it.

Anna could tell you horror stories of my first custards and pies.  Better suited for building material than food!

Ryryd

From: Georgia Foster <jo_foster81 at hotmail.com>