[Artemisia] the secret life of electric ovens

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. cat at rocks4brains.com
Wed Aug 29 13:21:21 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 10:33 -0500,
artemisia-request at lists.gallowglass.org wrote:
> Um - despite what anyone says, with the proper care and attention it
> *is*
> possible to make excellent custard on an electric range.

I have made many custards in electric ovens.  The trick
is to know your oven.  To do that, get two oven thermometers
and place them center front and center back on the center
rack, bring the oven up to custard temp (watch the
thermometers - don't believe the dial at all) and look at
the temperature behavior front and back, both before and after
you open and shut the oven door.  If you do this, then you
will know how to set the over temp dial, and where to place
the custard on the rack, and how to open and close the door
to minimize temperature perturbations that can screw up the
set of your proto-custard while it's baking...

If you are hard-core, use 5 thermometers, front and back
right and left, plus one in the very center

rumors that I over-engineer everything are completely false...

ttfn
Therasia