[Artemisia] Kitchens and sumptuary customs

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Wed Aug 29 18:52:51 CDT 2007

Totally serious question, I really am not sure - is *cast* iron period????

There is no reason that many of the dishes that we make on a stove/oven
couldn't be made using medieval cooking techniques.  A big part of it, I'm
sure, is practice.  When I read discriptions of some high class medieval
kitchens, I feel that I could make about anything one would need to make in
one.  Remembering of course, that one person didn't cook when a large feast
was served.  There were many servants to do the cook's bidding.  (can't seem
to find those today!)  And often there was a separate baker, with his/her
own set of helpers.

Of course on a small single family farmstead, things would have been much
different.  But I doubt the more 'fancy' dishes were served in these homes
with any regularity.

As to your other question, go to the kingdom website/library.  Click on
Kingdom Law, and scroll down towards the bottom till you come to: The
Sumptuary Customs of the Kingdom of Artemisia

That should have at least some of the information you're looking for.

Gefjon