[Artemisia] Correcting grammar

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Thu Aug 30 12:42:17 CDT 2007

There's a chance some of you may not find my parenting style
humorous, but KyneWynn's post reminded me of a story about my
daughter that always makes me laugh. But please, if you find swear
words extremely offensive, READ NO FURTHER.

My daughter is a verbally clever 10-year old but not too long ago she
inadvertently said "he don't."

I looked at her and said, "What did you say?" I told her, "You can
say f__k, but you can NOT say he don't."

I then asked her, "What do you think of that?"

She looked at me and said, "F__k that."

Of course, this is a much funnier story if you know that while I've
always told my daughter swear words are just words like any others,
and I don't mind if she uses them but she needs to be aware of their
social implications, what others might think of her if she uses them,
and when it's extremely impolite to use them, she elects never to say
them. Her choice to use the word in this particular exchange with me
was pure wit.

On a more serious note, my daughter also summed up my general
feelings about correcting people's inadvertent grammatical errors.
I'll do it if I'm asked to. Once in a while I'll do it for light
teasing humor. I might even occasionally do it if the other person
started it, although I still try to keep it light. But for the most
part, I think correcting others' grammar is discourteous. I also feel
absolutely no need to display my "superior" knowledge of English
grammar and usage, and if you really think about it, does anyone
correct another adult's grammar (without being asked) for any other
reason?

Belladonna